Critical Registration and Advising Information

Your Enrollment Plan

Your enrollment plan was produced in a joint effort by you and a New Student Orientation (NSO) advisor. It is your responsibility to ensure that you understand the following NSO notes pertaining to your specific enrollment plan.

Your advisor recommended courses based on your placement test performance and major or exploratory interests. General Education (GenEd) courses were recommended as part of Indiana University Bloomington (IUB)’s Common Ground requirements. Final course selections are made by students, who assume responsibility for their choices.

If you decide to change academic major/interest, you can contact for appropriate major alternative courses. If you want to change GenEd courses, you can search for alternatives on the GenEd website. You can make changes to your class schedules on your own via and by then searching for the “Class Registration” function. Drop/Add via instructions can be found on Student Central's website.

Information for All Students

Final Exam Schedule: You are responsible for comparing your class schedule to the Final Exam Schedule to ensure you avoid final exam conflicts. Go to, search “final exams," and launch the Final Exams tile.  If you find that you have final exam conflicts, speak to your instructors during the first week of classes to find out if an alternate exam time is possible.  

Holds: A hold on your record can prevent you from registering for classes. View any holds from your Student Center. Visit, search “holds," and launch the Records Holds tile. Click "Details" for instructions on how to get the hold released.

Advising and Major Exploration Services (AMES) Website: The AMES website is a comprehensive resource for helping you manage your academics and for providing the links to additional campus resources. 

Your IU E-mail: Official university communications will be sent to your university email address. You are expected to check your email daily in order to stay current with university-related communications.

Composition: You will earn an exemption from the IUB GenEd English Composition requirement if you had an SAT Evidence Based Reading & Writing score of 710+, or ACT English score of 32+, or AP English score of 4 or 5.

Transfer and Test Credits (including ACP, AP, and IB): Once you know the actual results of your AP tests or have other transfer credits posted to your IU transcript, please carefully review your class schedule to be sure you are not planning to repeat a course for which you have already received credit. You may need to make changes to your class schedule.

Transcripts: Official transcripts (for transfer coursework) and/or score reports (for AP, SAT, ACT or IB) should be sent to Indiana University, Office of Admissions. International students should have official transcripts and/or score reports sent to: The Ferguson International Center, 330 N. Eagleson Ave., Bloomington, IN 47405. 

Drop/Add instructions are available on the AMES site.

Placement Testing: If you have not completed the ALEKS Math Placement Exam, take it as soon as possible. The day after you complete the exam, please contact AMES at to learn your results and course placement. You may be required to change your class schedule based on your ALEKS results.

Math At IUB can be fast-paced and challenging, and grades will primarily be determined by exams and homework. Research shows students whose ALEKS score indicates math preparation is needed are better prepared to succeed by taking the indicated math preparatory course(s) prior to attempting one of the IUB General Education Math Modeling courses. (Caution: Zero-level math classes do not count for most degree programs.)

ALEKS Math Scores Explained

MATH-M 212 and beyond require prerequisites or permission if the prerequisite is not showing.

Chemistry: If you are seeking permission to enroll in CHEM-C 117/C127, please complete the online permission request form. Visit the Chemistry Department to see eligibility and recommended course sequences.

Economics: If a student needs permission or authorization for an ECON class, the student should contact The student will need to provide proof of enrollment in the prerequisite class if currently enrolled at another institution.

ENG-W 131 Basic Writing: You can find out if you are eligible to enroll by going to the English Department’s website. If you are eligible but are unable to enroll or waitlist, submit a request for permission via the Undergraduate Course Permissions Form on the English Department’s website.

ENG-W 131 Multilingual: You can find out if you are eligible to enroll by going to the English Department’s website. If you are eligible but are unable to enroll or waitlist, submit a request for permission via the Undergraduate Course Permissions Form on the English Department’s website.

French: Students wishing to enroll in the online 100- and 200-level classes should review the course expectations.

French 300-Level: Any student with a placement score placing them in the 300 level is eligible to enroll in F300, F313, F314, F315, F316, or F317. Students planning to major in French should begin with F300 or F313. Students planning to either earn a French minor/certificate or complete their foreign language requirement may choose any of the six courses for which they are eligible. Questions should be sent to

Hutton Honors College: You must obtain permission to enroll in or waitlist courses offered by the Hutton Honors College. Email or call (812) 855-3555 before attempting to enroll. You will need to provide your name, UID number and the class number of the specific class in which you want to enroll.

HISP-S 100: Departmental permission is required to enroll in or waitlist HISP-S 100. Email Lisa McAuley ( with your request. Provide your name, UID number and the class number of the specific class in which you want to enroll.

Italian 300-Level: Italian 300-Level: If you scored 75 or higher on the Italian exam and would like to take a 300-level course, you should contact Dr. Karolina Serafin, Director of Italian Language Instruction:​

Math: Forms to request permission to add MATH courses are available online. Be prepared to provide your name, UID number, ALEKS Math Placement test score, and the class number of the specific class in which you want to enroll. The following courses require permission only if the student does not meet the prerequisite stated in the Schedule of Classes: MATH-B 110, MATH-D116, MATH-M106, MATH-J112, MATH-J113, MATH-T101, MATH-T103, and MATH-M212. Students are encouraged to always read the notes in the schedule of classes to see the enforced prerequisite and to find instructions on how to get permission to add a math class. 

Privacy and Release of Information (ROI): Review the information on Privacy and Your Educational Records. You may fill out a Release of Information form, waiving your rights under the Family Educational Right and Privacy Act (FERPA) and designating specific third parties to whom your education information can be released. It is important to understand your rights under FERPA before you decide whether to waive them. To complete a Release of Information form go to

English Requirement: AMES expects students to complete the English Composition requirement within their first 55 credit hours. Transfer students who enter AMES with close to, or more than, 55 credit hours are expected to complete the composition requirement within the first two terms of Bloomington enrollment.

Alternative Major: Students with an intended competitive admission major must declare an alternative major with less competitive admission requirements. 

Major Declaration: AMES expects students to declare an intended major no later than the term in which they will complete 56 credit hours.

Multiple Late Withdrawals: IUB undergraduate students who complete a Withdrawal from All Subjects for two academic terms (fall, spring, or summer) will not be permitted to register for a future term without written permission of the dean of their college/school or the dean’s delegate. These students will have a Negative Service Indicator (hold) that prevents future registration placed on their record by the Office of the Registrar until such permission is obtained.

Career Exploration & Student Employment: You will work closely with both your academic advisor and your career advisor. Career advisors at Career Exploration & Student Employment can help you explore major-to-career pathways and find the right degree path for your strengths and goals. Your work with Career Exploration & Student Employment is critical for enriching your intended degree through internships, job shadowing, resume-building, and professional development.

iGPS: iGPS is your short-term and long-term planning hub. Using iGPS Course Search, you can search courses by term and with course attribute filters. Using iGPS Plan, you can map out multiple semesters of courses and backups. Using iGPS Degree Map, you can view a sample semester-by-semester sequence for your major. Go to, search “iGPS," and launch the iGPS tile. Course Search, Plan, and Degree Maps are all available there. Student success means you will check in, reevaluate, and update your four-year plan every semester.

Long-Term Planning: We encourage you to use iGPS Degree Maps, which provide 8-semester, 4-year, degree plans with courses and milestones outlined for all academic majors at IUB, as well as first-year course guides for exploratory students.

Information for Specific Students

21st Century Scholars Program Requirements: 

  • You must be enrolled in a minimum of 12 credits to be full time and in order for your financial aid to process.
  • You must complete the FAFSA by April 15th every year.
  • You must be in good academic standing as determined by your academic unit and the financial aid office at IUB.

Renewing & Maintaining 21st Century Scholars Program Eligibility: 

  • In order to keep your eligibility for Sophomore through Senior years, you must complete a total of 30 credit hours between Fall and Spring semesters for Freshman, Sophomore and Junior years.  
  • You can also use AP/IB and dual credits earned in high school towards your credit completion (Speak with a 21CS Advisor for details).
  • Summer courses, although not funded by 21st Century, will count towards your current academic year totals.
  • Please contact your advisor before dropping any courses or consult a 21st Century Scholars Program Advisor.
  • Please contact the 21st Century Scholars office if you have any related questions –

BUS Admission: In order to be competitive for admission into the Kelley School of Business you should strive for a grade of ‘B’ or higher in each course.

BUS Transfer Credits: Policies governing transfer of BUS credits are listed in the Kelley School of Business Bulletin.

BUS Transfer Students: Any student with 12 or more credits from another institution, including another IU campus, is considered a transfer student to IU Bloomington and must apply to the Kelley School of Business through standard admission. 

International Students: The English Department requires completion of or enrollment in SLST-T 131 Academic Writing for Muti-Lingual Students: Research and Inquiry before enrolling in ENG-W 131 for Multilingual Speakers.

Kelley Application: Find information on applying to the Kelley School of Business on the school's website.

Business Minors: Information on the requirements for the Kelley minors can be found in the Kelley School bulletin for the year in which you started at IUB.

Questions: If you have additional questions related to the Kelley School of Business, you may contact the school at

Credit Hours: In the fall and spring terms you must be enrolled in 12 credit hours to maintain status.

Language Proficiency: If your native language is not English you may fulfill the IUB GenEd World Languages and World Cultures requirement through demonstrated proficiency in your first language. The College of Arts and Sciences will verify student documents to see if the IUB GenEd World Language and Culture (and if applicable, the College of Arts and Sciences foreign language requirement) will be satisfied. If foreign language proficiency cannot be established, you will be notified by email that you need to submit the Foreign Language Proficiency Form to the College Recorder’s Office.

Office of International Services (OIS) Advising: For questions about international student regulations and staying in status (visa status, work authorization, travel signatures for immigration documents, dropping all courses, etc.), contact OIS advising.

Full Time Enrollment & Maintaining Status: Enrolling in a minimum of 12 credits in Fall and Spring semesters is a requirement for staying in legal immigration status. For questions about your class schedule, dropping and adding classes, and degree planning, contact AMES advising. For questions about international student regulations and staying in status, contact OIS advising.

AP Credit: Some health professions programs restrict the use of Advanced Placement or credit-by-examination towards meeting admission requirements.

Exemptions: Receiving an exemption from a requirement from your undergraduate institution is usually not considered equivalent to credit from coursework and is not accepted by most professional schools to fulfill requirements.

HPPLA: If you are interested in a career in law, medicine, or another health profession, review New Student Orientation Guides on the Health Professions and Prelaw Advising website.

Orientation: Information about upcoming Pre-Law Freshman and Pre-Med Freshman Orientations can be found here.

BIOL-L 112: Read the class notes on the registration screen carefully. Some BIOL-L 112 classes require students to take exams in the evening (outside of the regular class time). If outside time requirements are listed in the class notes, you will need to leave that time open in your class schedule.

CHEM-C 117/C127: Students cannot enroll in CHEM-C 117/C127 until they have satisfied a prerequisite. To determine eligibility, students should follow the instructions on this page.

Chemistry Placement Test (CPE): Take the Chemistry Placement Exam (CPE), or find information/instruction on the ALEKS Review Course. Students may take the Eligibility Quiz to determine placement in Chemistry before meeting with an advisor. The CPE is not required to enroll in CHEM-C 100, CHEM-C 101/121, or CHEM-C 103.

Transfer Single Articulation Pathways: 

Transfer Single Articulation Pathways (TSAP) students must follow several important steps when starting their course work at IUB in order to earn a baccalaureate degree:  

  • Indicate on your application that you are applying for admission as a TSAP student, 
  • Meet all TSAP admission criteria for the desired baccalaureate degree and be admitted to IU Bloomington as a TSAP student in the specified program, 
  • Follow the TSAP degree map in the specified program, without deviation, completing all courses on time and meeting all minimum grade requirements for the degree. 
  • TSAP students who change majors, decide to pursue a different degree, or do not follow the TSAP degree map as specified will no longer be considered TSAP students. 

TSAP Explained: